Highlights for Children is a general-interest, advertising-free magazine for children up to age 12. It was founded in 1946 by Dr. Garry Cleveland Myers and Caroline Clark Myers, and is still owned and run by their family. The magazine has no religious or organizational affiliation. Highlights has a circulation of about 2 million and is published monthly.
- We encourage writers to read several recent copies of Highlights before submitting work. A sample copy will be sent on request.
- We do not accept submissions by e-mail or fax.
- We pay for all material on acceptance.
- We buy all rights, including copyright and do not consider previously published material.
- Generally we prefer to see a manuscript rather than a query. However, we will review queries regarding nonfiction.
- We accept material at any time of the year, including seasonal material.
- Each submission must include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- We do not pay writers younger than 16 years old for their work. Guidelines for young writers will be sent on request.
- To find a listing of our current needs, guidelines for illustrators and Fiction Contest guidelines, please scroll down to the bottom of the page.